History

_THE RAVERSYDE SCENIC PARK AND PONDS WERE ORIGINALLY LAID OUT IN 1904 ON THE ADVICE OF THE BELGIAN KING LEOPOLD II.

Large

 

The new Scenic Park

The area to the east of the Atlantikwall and ANNO 1465 has been almost completely redesigned as a scenic area: the grassland has been restored and green elements, woodland and water features have been added.
In addition, attractive walking and cycling paths, a dog run and a playground with play facilities and play hills have been provided. The former recreational area and eastern car park have disappeared. The park is approximately 50 ha in size.
The scenic area will be managed on the basis of a harmonic park management plan, which has been approved by the Flemish government. The Scenic Park has been redesigned with support from the European Union (through the Interreg IVa project called ‘Maxigreen’) and from Toerisme Vlaanderen.
A total of 20,000 new plants, including 15,500 trees, were planted in late January/early February 2015. This planting project received € 15,000 in financial support from the Ostend-based company Daikin Europe nv.
The Scenic Park’s redesign took almost one year and cost over € 618,000 in total. An amount of € 215,000 was subsidised by the European Union (through the Interreg IVA project called ‘Maxigreen’) and € 200,000 by Toerisme Vlaanderen.