During the Second World War, the Saltzwedel-neu Battery was part of Marine Artillerie Abteilung (naval artillery unit) 204, which had several batteries on our coast. Like many other batteries, it is named after a well-known or important figure in German history – in this case, the First World War submarine commander Reinhold Saltzwedel.
The battery, which was constructed in 1941 and 1942, consisted of a central observation and command post, four artillery positions and two bunkers with field guns to defend the flanks. Anti-aircraft defences were present and the battery had two or three searchlights. There was no radar system. The men slept in personnel bunkers and stayed in barracks during the day. The structures were interconnected by a system of passages.
Most of these elements are still present. The artillery pieces have been returned to their old positions, and many of the bunkers have been restored and refurbished with authentic objects. The Saltzwedel-neu Battery is a textbook example of the Atlantikwall. Its fine state of preservation makes it one of Europe’s most important museums of defensive works.